Thursday, December 17, 2009

Troubling Social Media

There is an aspect to social media that I had never realy considered pertinet to me before. I consider myself a polite repectful individual who would never try to abuse the power of the internet or social media. These forces can be put to ill use as ways to harras others. This is something I would never do.

However, social media allows us to communicate with anyone, anywhere, at any time, instantaneously. Many of the people we communicate with we don't realy know. We only know then by their picture on their profile, the limited information contained in the profile, and what limited communication we've had with them. It's easy to forget that we don't actaully know these people. We don't know what is going on in there personal lives or how they may react to what we say or information we may share.

This point was driven home to me recently. I responded to an individual I follow on Twitter who had stated that they get choked up over ASPCA comercials. I also get choked up over those comercials as I have a huge soft spot in my heart for animals, dogs inparticular. So I thought it would be a good idea to share a writting which while very sad and tear jerking is one of my favorite of all time and I will never forget it. I sent "How could you?" by Jim Willis 2001. http://bit.ly/6myEv9 Every time I read this I want to cry.. To me this writting is a pertinate reminder of the responsability we have for those animals we bring into our lives. I thought this person who I do not realy know would also appreciate it as I do.

It turns out I may have made a mistake. The individu messaged me back on Twitter asking why I had sent them that. The punctuation used in the message left me with the impression that I may have unintentionaly upset my fellow Twitter user. I did not get the message back until the next morning because I had signed off for the night after sending it. I responded back to the person to appologize if I upset them, but I have not heard back yet. I have been thinking about it ever since. I am concerned that I may have purpotrated an injury on this individual by making assumptions about a person I do not realy know.

I hope to hear back from them soon, but its a real possability that I won't. Especially if I ha e hurt and offended them. They may choose to never read another message from me and discontinue all communication with me. I hope that is not the case. I hope they read my message and understand that I am sorry for my unintended transgression. I have learned a valuable lesson from this though. Do not make assumptions about those we do not realy know and becareful of what we share on the internet and through social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment